AS LONG AS STRING

With a handful of sand, I watch the years
slowly slip through my fingers one grain at a time.
My legacy will end with my last words.

Annual feasts served weekly
now shoes are as cheap as socks.
Cobwebbed feet and brittle nails,
I lose my teeth for the second time.
The wrinkles and scars merge,
everything is turning yellow in the corners.
I waited for ages for change,
but this change has aged me.
Life, as long as string;
when will our blinks set.

We all become each others distant memory,
just a nameless, faceless, entity.
The best friend I never made,
the lover I never loved,
the father I never became.
The peak of passion was always flat
as the screen I saw the world through.

Class-A words concealed under my hat
or are they now downgraded,
I can’t keep up with the paperboy.
Only the villain will help the lost child,
only the youth will harm the elder;
a war would keep them from trouble.

Childhood laughter only confuses your adulthood.
I never faked it in the park like I fake it in the bed.
Stay young kids, stay seven forever.
Stay playing Pooh Sticks and throwing bread for hens.
Stick with houses made of shoe boxes and castles built on sand.
Don’t let us trade your piggy bank for a bank account.

No comments: