THE TIME WITH MY PARTNER

I stole the deserted drinks from the hedonists
because I couldn’t afford to be their friend.
I strolled along the suited unseen, only the hell veteran noticed me.
She took me in from the billowing smog to give me shelter,
she like my face, I liked her promise.
Time was all my partner had to quench my troubled face.
Time is a saver and freshens the breath,
but my stubborn breath stayed in the shadows of the bottom draw.

My partners pillow I covered in spit when I made us cry,
I ripped open my pours with a broken bottle
and dragged my partner back to the rack she left behind.
I left her behind when I bolted at full haste,
too honest to turn the other way.
Regret is not good enough, so no one hears me apologise.
I stopped to collapse and splutter out my acidic insides,
I tried to remember my partner’s name
but I couldn’t remember what she looked like.

No comments: